The holidays are almost here again. The weather’s gotten crisper, and your wardrobe is starting to reflect that. In the blink of an eye, we’ll be wrapping presents and counting down to 2022, and with that comes the opportunity to dress to impress at a holiday party.
If you’ve been married to athleisure for the past year like the rest of us, it’s time to be excited about fashion again. The holiday season is the perfect time for an outfit debut (or outfit re-debut if you’re shopping vintage). It’s time to show all your friends and family your out-on-the-town sense of style.
But maybe last year was lackluster, and maybe you’ve forgotten how it feels to love a fashion moment. Get ready to step it up this year to make up for all the parties you missed in 2020.
If you’re having difficulty choosing a look that wows, keep reading to learn how to stun this holiday season.
Fun Cocktail Dresses
A classic for a reason, the cocktail dress is a perfect opportunity to show off your style and experiment with a variety of aesthetics. Whether feminine, sophisticated, or fun, there's plenty of room for interpretation.
For the holidays especially, this is your chance to turn up the volume and go big and bold.
There is no argument when it comes to the iconic image of New Year’s Eve: the ball drop in Times Square. Shine as bright as the ball dropping in Times Square in a festive sequined number. Lean into the old-school glamour and style it with a faux fur stole to stay cozy.
One of the best things about the holidays is a chance to start with a clean slate. Especially if you live in an area with a fresh dusting of snow: everything old is new again.
Pay homage to that theme with velvet in a gloriously retro 80s puff-sleeved mini dress. The iconic shapes of the ‘80s strike a great balance between modern and vintage. Tease your hair up high and go for big colors with your eye shadow.
If you want to throw it back further than the 1980s, there are even more silhouettes that are just as iconic. Combine fashion and the arts with a one-of-a-kind painted circle skirt to channel your inner ‘50s woman. Style it with pearls to really commit to the vintage fantasy, or pair it with some platform combat boots for a more subversive, cheeky take.
Once a staple of the 70s, the jumpsuit is enjoying a serious revival these days. They’re perfect for those colder winter nights but a lot chicer than a top and a pair of jeans. (It’s worth having to take off the whole piece for bathroom breaks to be glamorous for just one night!) Plus, a garment with pockets is a lifesaver on nights when you want to dance and not be weighed down by a clunky purse.
When we think of unexpected fashion that never ages, we think of Studio 54. Go for a Studio 54-inspired sparkly disco fantasy in this palazzo pant look, a guaranteed conversation starter. Try pairing it with some pointy-toed leather boots for some added height that will also keep you warm.
Be a pastel sherbet dream in a peach bell-bottom jumpsuit, which calls to mind Elle Fanning’s mod moment on the 2019 Met Gala red carpet. To really go beyond the valley of the dolls, a sharp cat eye and a collection of chunky rings will add some essential ‘60s cool.
Black on Black
Timeless. Elegant. Universally flattering. Black always works for nighttime, adding an air of sophistication to all garments. Bring a touch of class to your aesthetic by going for an all-black ensemble,
- Show some skin in a black, open-backed evening dress. Cigarette holder optional, but encouraged.
- This demure long-sleeved suede dress with a plunging back is something of a fashionable mullet: business in the front, party in the back.
- Feel utterly opulent (and warm) in an impressive 80s-era fur coat. Eat your heart out, Cruella.
Glitter for Days
You want to sparkle. Perhaps outrageously so. Body glitter on your collarbone or a sparkly eyeshadow? You need more. Look for an outfit that’s magnetic in its bewitching glimmer and that shines as brightly as you.
Go full shimmer with these ideas:
- Consider a sheer glittery blue top that serves impressive ice dancer fantasy. Pair it with flares or a cute mini skirt.
- Go loud with some brightly colored statement clip-on earrings.
- Stay relaxed but stylish in a ‘70s glitter starburst shirt. This piece is a vintage Christain Dior; you will be the only one wearing this top at any party.
Something about the holidays just demands velvet, doesn’t it? Perfect for snowy carriage rides, it keeps you nice and toasty but doesn’t hide you away. Red velvet is a classic, but velvet can be found in any number of colors and styles.
- For a more unconventional take on velvet, a burgundy tailored jacket offers a cool riff on a smoking jacket. Pair with matching leather loafers for additional swagger.
- Feel expensive (but don’t break the bank) in some vintage brown Gucci trousers.
- Do you dare wear a cape? Yes, you do, because you are absolutely pulling off this operatic glamour.
Craving for Leather
The allure of a leather garment is irresistible. Leather commands the eye and feels daring and sexy; a holiday party is the perfect place to debut your Sandy-inspired greaser chick look.
- A purple leather jacket would be perfect worn over a cocktail dress or with a lacy blouse and some cool flares.
- A chic blue crocodile print leather skirt begs to be paired with a silk camisole top or a tight black turtleneck.
- Go bold in a red leather mini dress and style with fishnets for extra rebel flair.
Embrace the Gown
If this past year has demonstrated anything, it’s that every moment must be sufficiently seized. Waiting for the “perfect moment” to debut a fancy look leads to your clothes languishing and collecting dust in the back of your closet, so wear that ball gown!
- Take, for instance, an incredible peacock marabou feather gown. Truly a Disney villain, high fashion moment, begging to be paired with a dark lip and a dripping diamond collar.
- Or if you’re looking for a dress that screams “I own 51% of this company,” look no further than this backless, sequined dress with a deep v-neck. You’re a boss, and you’ve got the shoulder pads to prove it.
- Or perhaps for a more innocent and romantic look, this 50s-era delicate layered pink chiffon gown will make you look as sweet as a confection from a French patisserie. Pair with a subdued makeup look, perfect for your kiss in the moonlight.
We’re serving spangles this holiday season because it’s finally your time to shine. All throughout the holiday season, celebrate that you’ve made it through another year in an outfit that refuses to be ignored.
- Live your mermaid dreams out in a shimmering aquamarine gown. Style your hair in cascading waves to match.
- A unique, harlequin-esque black and pink sequined top will be a real eye-catcher at any holiday party. Pair with a cute pair of black flats and a pencil skirt.
- Go glamorous in a short-sleeved emerald green party dress that will be the envy of all party goers.
Merry, Bright, and Looking Out of Sight
Let your holiday cheer shine through in all of your party ensembles this year. With these looks, you’re guaranteed to be the chicest one in the room.